Friday, September 19, 2008

The Tiniest Serpent

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20080903/Note2.asp

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! Most of the world probably doesn't care if there is a snake about the size of a quarter, but I think that this was a great discovery! It is also cool that Hedges has also found a frog and lizard about the same size of a dime.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think it's really cool that there's such a small snake that you could confuse with a worm, watch out. Anyway, I learned that it's only 100 millimeters long, or about four inches. And belongs to a group called threadsnakes. It was found in bel Hedges of Pensylvania State University, and it DNA states it should have it's very own category.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing that there are snakes about the size of a quarter! How did they discover that it was a snake, not just a worm? I bet the single egg that it carries is barely visible. How did somebody actually see the little snake? They must have very good vision. Also, why did researchers think it was a snake, not a worm? After reading this article, I am sure that threadsnakes are the smallest group of snakes according to their size.

Anonymous said...

that's nice that he name the serpent after his wife, but i feel kind of creeped out that there might be a serpent inside y mouse. the snake was found on barbados, in the carribean it is also known as the barbados threadsnake.specimens already existed in the london natural history museum. it has the smallest adults in the world, which isn't that surprising from the smallest snake, and i found most of this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptotyphlops_carlae

Anonymous said...

I think that it is amazing that It's possible with today's technology that they can research something so small, so well, I'm very interested in reptiles and I found that this thread snake is a very interesting addition to my knowledge of reptiles.

Anonymous said...

I think this was a super cool discovery. Even though it is the size of a quarter and it isn't the biggest snake, it's the smallest snake! Also i found it so interesting that they found something that small in the pennsylvania state university. Another cool thing I found out was when I heard the name of the snake in the Leptotypholps Caralae. I think that is an awesome name. All I would have wanted was to know what it ate, otherwise it was the best article yet!

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting that there is a new snake that is the size of a dime. I think that it is also very interesting that the snake gives birth one at a time, like some humans do.

Anonymous said...

It's really interesting that there is a snake the size of a computer mouse and that it is in a species of its own. What I also found interesting is that the discoverer of this small snake also found the worlds tiniest lizard and frog.

Anonymous said...

How incredible it must be to still find new species now a days. I can't believe that the records still change, I mean, how long must these tiny lizards have lived. They must have a lot of protection. And what would they eat if they are that small? Have scientists discovered all of these questions yet?

Anonymous said...

This article was very interesting. Did you know that this week they also discovered a new kind of molusk that is bioluminescent? Those molusks were found in an abyss. I don't understand how they managed to capture them since they were so deep! I can't believe the snake is only the size of a quarter! Also, this species of snake is blind! How do they survive in the wild!

Anonymous said...

The new species of snakes average just 100 millimeters long, that is 4 in. long. The size of a computer mouse. Some people thought that it was a worm but it was not. It had interesting scales on it's back and had stripes from head to tale. they found it in bel hedges of Pennsylvania State University. I wonder if we will find snakes that are even smaller?

Anonymous said...

I think that it is really cool that they found a snake just bigger than a quarter! There was an article about this in a science magazine that I read a few days before I read this. It said that Blair Hedges named the snake Leptotyphlops carlae after his wife, Carla. I also read that the snake was known for over hundreds of years by an Indian tribe. Anyway, Great Artical!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that it is really cool that they found a snake just bigger than a quarter! There was an article about this in a science magazine that I read a few days before I read this. It said that Blair Hedges named the snake Leptotyphlops carlae after his wife, Carla. I also read that the snake was known for over hundreds of years by an Indian tribe. Anyway, Great Artical!!!! the anonymous was an acident.

Anonymous said...

that is EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not the biggest snake person, but that is just too cool! I mean, a snake the size of a quarter, and a frog the size of a dime? That's so crazy! But what I'd like to know is what the tiny snakes eat? and how big are they when they're babies? Also, is there a difference between the male and female snakes? do their narrow heads give them an advantage over other snakes? Are their heads better for finding food than wider snake heads? Or are they purely for looks? So many questions, so little answers. If they come out with a sequel to this article, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that the snakes are actually kind of cute. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

The snake the size of a mouse... I agree with daniel. The who spotted it must have really good eyesight OR was looking for something else tiny but found this instead or found both

Anonymous said...

I think it is interesting that scientists found a snake the size of a quarter. I wonder how scientists found out it was a snake and not a worm or a lizard. Although many will not care, I still think that it was a cool discovery.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Alexis and Sahar. I think Sahar has a good point, you can canfuse a snake smaller than a quarter for a worm easily. And I also agree with Alexis when she said that most of the world wouldn't care if it was on just Barbados. But if it is discovered in another place... it could begin to become trouble. I just wonder if it's poisunous. it would be scary if you could be just walking along and suddenly be bitten by a snake because it so small you didn't notice it. And if your alone you might die if some one doesn't notice your hurt quickly enough. Also, if it does have venom, how much venom does it have? a little snake like the one i'm talking about probably wouldn't have that much venom inside its tiny little body. but even if doesn't have venom, it would still hurt to be bit, and I wouldn't want that to happen to me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sarah! I also agree with Sahar that you could confuse it as a worm. I really hate worms and snakes, but I thought the article was awesome. I also agree with Bea, how do you distinguish a female snake and a male snake? :)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Finally a really small and cool snake that is really awesome. I'm looking at my computer mouse right now and my hand is an inch bigger than it. If your hand was as big as mine, you would be able to hold about 20 of the little things. Small animals are the best. END OF STORY.

Anonymous said...

I think it is amazing that a snake is that small. The worlds biggest snake is an anaconda and the grow to a huge size ! Its cool how animals can have a size difference that huge and still be the same species. I love learning about animals and I would love to learn more about this one.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! To have a snake be the size of a quarter and live long enough for us humans to record this rare discovery is incredible! i I wonder what will be next! All I know is that thread snakes are DEFINITELY one of the most amazing species alive!